Spending more than $68,000 on ‘Rann’s Farewell Party’ is an outrageous waste of taxpayers’ money, Shadow Finance Minister Rob Lucas said today.
Department of Premier and Cabinet executives today provided this ‘estimate’ of the costs of the special events for October 20, which are supposedly for the opening of the new film studios at Glenside, to the Legislative Council Budget and Finance Committee.
Deputy Chief Executive Greg Mackie confirmed that an invitation to attend had been sent to Cate Blanchett and a number of other prominent film identities. Mr Mackie said Ms Blanchett had not yet responded, but her travel and accommodation costs would be part of the event’s budget.
Mr Mackie indicated a forum would be conducted in the afternoon and a gala opening in the evening.
“Mr Mackie also confirmed that about $20,000 was being spent on another event featuring Mr Rann on October 5 in which three former Thinkers in Residence would share a forum with Mr Rann,” Mr Lucas said.
“However, these costs might not include some costs being incurred by other departments.
“At a time when our hospitals and schools are struggling for funds it is clear that Mr Rann is sparing no expense for any events he wants for his ‘farewell tour’ as he tries to spin his story of what he thinks he has achieved.”