The latest ABS CPI data has revealed the huge impact the Weatherill Government’s massive ESL increases are having on property charges and cost of living for South Australian families.
From September 2013 to September 2014:
• Property charges have increased by 17.3 per cent.
• Gas bills have increased by 13.3 per cent;
• State taxes have increased by 9.8 per cent; and
• Water bills have increased by 2.8 per cent
During this same period, inflation was only 2.1 per cent.
The ABS has confirmed that the Emergency Services Levy is factored in to the property charges index.
The 17.3 per cent increase in Adelaide’s property charges for the past 12 months was the highest of all state capitals – the second highest increase was 6.2 per cent in Perth.
“With many South Australians already struggling, the Weatherill Labor Government’s savage ESL increase is completely unjustified and another hit to South Australians’ hip-pockets,” said Shadow Treasurer Rob Lucas.
Under Labor since 2002:
• State taxes have increased by 106 per cent;
• Property charges have increased by 120 per cent;
• Electricity bills have increased by 140 per cent;
• Gas bills have increased by 157 per cent; and,
• Water bills have increased by 236 per cent.
“Cost of living increases are placing enormous pressure on family budgets and the Weatherill Government is directly responsible for a significant portion of the pain,” said Mr Lucas.
“Labor simply cannot continue to rip money out of household budgets.
“Mr Weatherill now needs to explain to struggling families in Fisher why he believes they should be hit with the largest increases in property charges in the nation.”