Shadow Health Minister Rob Lucas yesterday in Parliament condemned the Weatherill Government for the poor treatment of a 78-year-old woman waiting for major surgery.
On Monday morning at 7:00am the woman from the western suburbs arrived at the admissions office of the Queen Elizabeth Hospital for a scheduled major operation to remove her right side colon.
The woman was told by staff her scheduled operation had been cancelled and that they could not indicate the reasons for the cancellation or when the operation would be rescheduled.
Later on Monday afternoon she was notified of a rescheduled date for later this month.
“It is clearly unacceptable that any person awaiting major surgery should be treated in such a poor way by the Weatherill Government,” said Mr Lucas.
“At the very least patients should receive prior notification when major surgery is to be cancelled.
“This would help minimize the extent of disruption experienced by patients.
“Sadly, with the Weatherill Government’s promised cut of $949 million from health budgets, there will be even more tragic examples such as this one.”