The Weatherill Labor Government will be forced to go cold turkey on taxpayer funded political advertisements from today, as the moratorium on government ads has been brought forward by a month ahead of the state election.
The media last month reported: ‘The pre-election advertising moratorium period will also be brought forward by a further month, to 17 January 2018.’ – Advertiser.com.au, Saturday 9 December 2017.
“The Labor Party is addicted to using taxpayer dollars to pay for their blatantly political ad
campaigns,” said Shadow Treasurer Rob Lucas.
“In stark contrast, the State Liberals have already committed to introducing legislation to strictly control taxpayer funded advertising and prevent state governments from abusing public money for political purposes.
“We’ve also committed to releasing government advertising costs on a monthly basis if elected in March, to improve transparency and accountability measures in South Australia.
“Labor’s track record of trotting out taxpayer funded political ad campaigns is disgraceful, and the State Liberals will be holding Labor accountable from today should Labor be tempted to continue with their blatantly political ads during the period where such ads are banned.”
The bill for the Weatherill Government’s recent $9 million advertising binge includes advertising campaigns for:
• JOB EX – $840,000
• Electricity plan – $2.6 million
• Education plan – $1.8 million
• Job Accelerator Grant Scheme – $1.5 million plus
• Future Jobs Fund – $1.3 million
• 2016-17 State Budget – $523,000
• New Royal Adelaide Hospital – $450,000 plus
“South Australians will judge the Weatherill Government very harshly if it breaks its own advertising ban over the next 59 days in a desperate attempt to cling to power,” said Mr Lucas.
“The message to Jay Weatherill and Tom Koutsantonis is clear: SA is watching.”