Shadow Police Minister Rob Lucas said today Premier Rann’s supposed new announcement of a police plane had been first announced almost three years ago and had been re-announced at least a half dozen times!
Premier Rann told the Annual General Meeting of the Police Association today that he was pleased to be making a ‘new announcement’ of more resources for police and issued a press release boldly headed ‘New plane boosts police services’.
However what he didn’t tell police was this plane had first been announced in the 2004 budget and the history of re-announcements is as follows;
• May 2004 – Budget papers announce replacement aircraft to be purchased during 2004-05 as existing aircraft has reached end of its effective practical life
• May 2005 – Budget papers announce replacement aircraft with completion due in June 2006
• May 2005 – Press release ‘Making SA safer’ refers to new aircraft
• May 2006 – Press release’Crime rates continue to fall in SA’ refers to new aircraft
• Sept 2006—Press release refers to new aircraft
• Sept 2006 – Budget papers (making it 3 budgets in a row!!) announce replacement aircraft with completion now due in June 2007!!
• Sept 2006 – Police Minister announces new aircraft answering a ‘Dorothy dixer’ in parliament
• Oct 2006 – Premier Rann makes ‘new announcement’ of new police plane to Police Association AGM!!!
• Apr-June 2007 – latest guess as to actual arrival!!
“So about three years after first being announced Premier Rann might actually deliver a much needed aircraft to replace an old plane which in 2004 was described as having reached the ‘end of its effective practical life’,” Mr Lucas said.
“We all now wait with bated breath as to whether Mr. Rann can set a personal best and beat his own record by announcing it again in a 4th budget in 2007!!!”