The Rann Government will this week slug taxpayers by increasing almost 2000 fees, fines and charges with some increasing by more than 200 per cent, Shadow Treasurer Rob Lucas said today.
“The Rann Government is the highest taxing government in this state’s history and this week and in the coming state budget Mr Rann will further consolidate his record,” Mr Lucas said today.
“Mr Rann and Mr Foley are obviously out of touch as they continue to jam their ‘high tax vacuum cleaner’ into the pockets of long suffering taxpayers and suck out every last dollar.
“The Mid Year Budget Review released earlier this year showed that the Rann Government was going to collect an extra $2300 million in revenue this year compared to the last year of the former Liberal Government in 2001/02.
“Some examples of this week’s increases which are significantly higher than the rate of inflation are:
• 234% – $300 increase in registration fee under Partnership Act
• 223% – $176 increase in advanced training cost to get motor bike driver’s licence
• 222% – $200 increase in basic training cost to get motor bike learner’s permit
• 173% – $195 increase in test cost for appointment as heavy vehicle examiner
• 76% – police cost to determine if motor vehicle has been stolen
• 63% – licence cost increase for security agent
• 24% – $355 increase for certain fish net registrations
• 24% – $713 increase for pilchard net registration
• 17% – witness fee under Firearms Act
• 12.5% – student bus fare for single trip at all times-all fares up by 7-12%
“Whilst state budget papers predict inflation next year will be only 2.5% most of the other hundreds of examples will go up by almost 4%.
“Figures released by the Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) earlier this year show that in South Australia, over recent years under the Rann Government, total taxes and charges levied by State and Local Government on a family of four have increased by between $400 and $1000 per year.
“Given the budget crisis facing the Rann Government and recent decisions announced by the Rann Government and many local councils, the Liberal Party estimates that a family of four will again be facing an annual cost increase of between $400 and $700.
“Mr Rann and Mr Foley cannot go on continually slugging long suffering taxpayers without at least providing some tax relief.”