Monday, 22 October 2018
The State Government will wind down the Motor Accident Commission, with its road safety activities to be delivered by SA Police and other agencies such as the Department of Planning, Transport and Infrastructure and the Office for Recreation and Sport.
Treasurer Rob Lucas said the move was a ‘natural consequence’ of the former Labor Government’s decision in 2014 to privatise the provision of Compulsory Third Party (CTP) vehicle insurance in South Australia – which had been MAC’s core function.
Mr Lucas reassured South Australians the government’s unwavering commitment to road safety remained unchanged, and MAC’s total current funding of about $11 million for advertising, research, partnerships and sponsorships will be maintained.
“This sensible move is a natural consequence of the former Labor government’s decision to sell-off the Motor Accident Commission’s CTP insurance business which, effectively, stripped it of its core function,’’ said Treasurer Lucas.
“With that case load reducing, we see great value in now transferring the delivery of its remaining road safety initiatives to other arms of government already playing an important role in this space, such as SA Police and DPTI.
This restructure will take effect from July next year.
You can write to Rob at his
GPO Box 2264
ADELAIDE SA 5000
His office contact
Telephone: +61 8 8226 1866
Alternatively, you can email Rob with any issues or feedback.